How much weight do you want to lose? What is your “intended result”?
A recent study looked at 5 different weight loss outcomes as follows:
- Dream weight – the weight you would be if you could weigh whatever you want
- Goal weight – the weight you expect to lose
- Happy weight – not your ideal weight, but one you would be happy to achieve
- Acceptable weight – a weight you’re not particularly happy with, but one you could accept because it is less than your current weight
- Disappointed weight – a weight that is less than your current weight, but one that you could not view as successful in any way.
The study found that weight losses of 6% or less were personally “disappointing”.
In other words, the degree of weight loss that is beneficial to health is often not enough to be personally pleasing.
So on to the next question – will a weight loss group help me to achieve a weight that I’m happy with and a weight my GP will be happy with?